Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Top 10 of 2010

The year 2010 has come and gone with the speed of a juiced-up jackrabbit. Let's revisit some of our finest moments, shall we? This is the Top 10 of 2010, in no particular order:

1. European Vacation
While we did have a few moments that felt like they could have fit into a National Lampoon’s film (full sprints through the Barcelona airport, nearly getting run over on the left side of the road, jet lag that lasted a good 400 hours), for the most part, our first trip across the pond together was one for the ages. We spent time in Ireland, London, Paris, and Spain. We toured castles, climbed to the top of Notre Dame, swam in the Mediterranean Sea, and spent two nights in what felt like an abandoned Parisian brothel – you know, the basics.


2. Year One Done
There were times during the first year of teaching where I honestly couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, like while threatening a student with a baseball bat, or while sitting through a faculty meeting that was about as productive as microwaving a gerbil. Nevertheless, we made it through the wild and crazy year, and we count ourselves fortunate to have made it out alive. First year teaching highlights were...um…sparse. But I did take my kids on a field trip to D.C., and that was pretty dang cool.


3. Special Guest Speakers
Celeste and I both feel blessed to have fathers who know their stuff. My dad is an encyclopedia on the subjects of American history, government, and the law, and Brooks is a world-renowned geologist/paleontologist. And as luck would have it, both of our fathers are experts in the subjects that we teach. So in October, Herm-Daddy came to North Carolina and gave a discourse to my students on Native Americans, specifically the Navajo. Not only did he bring arrowheads, sand paintings, and dreamcatchers for the kids to hold and see, but he also brought them Utah State t-shirts, so that their love for USU could soar like eagle.

Brooks came in December, and gave Celeste’s students a crash course in digging up dinosaurs, and brought in skulls and fossils for them to hold and handle. Brooks explained how dynamite is used to blow away the rock above fossils, and asked one unsuspecting student what would happen if a giant rock fell on them because they weren’t practicing good safety techniques. The student responded with perfect scientific eloquence: “It ain’t no more you.”


4. Seein’ the East
We traveled a lot in 2010 (about 45,633 miles, to be precise), and much of that travel took place on the east coast, including Maine, New Hampshire, Boston, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, The Outer Banks NC, Asheville NC, Tampa FL, New York (twice), Williamsburg VA (thrice), and Washington, D.C. (thrice). They say you’re never too far from anything on the east coast, and we’ve done our best to cash in on that doctrine.

Charleston, South Carolina

Portland, Maine

5. The Holy Union of Bonnie and Matt
A sibling’s wedding ranks right up there with baby births, anniversaries, and the Super Bowl in terms of eternal significance. And Celeste’s sister Bonnie’s wedding was no exception. We flew out to Utah in October and met Matt for the first time, and quickly discovered that his unpredictable, off-the-cuff personality was a perfect fit for our Boopers. We fully endorsed the marriage, and any children they might produce. Love you guys!


6. ‘Tis the Season
Thanksgiving and Christmas were very special this year. Maybe it’s because we stayed out of Utah (du dun, chsshh). Maybe also because we spent Thanksgiving with my cousins in Florida who I haven’t seen together since I was probably 10 years old. I also saw a long-lost aunt, and an uncle who I hadn’t seen in years. What a perfectly wonderful reunion that was.

Christmas was equally exquisite. We spent it with Celeste’s Uncle Dan and Aunt Jeanne in New York, then spent a couple of days in Manhattan visiting old friends. All the holiday fun without the cross-country pilgrimage.


7. Law School Applications…again
You know you’ve had a pretty lame year if applying to law school makes the highlight reel.

8. Missionary Visits
In March, my little sister Josie came to North Carolina to pay us one last visit before she left on her mission to Oakland, California, where she is still currently serving. In December, Celeste’s brother Ben came out for a long weekend to pay us a last visit before his mission to Santiago, Chile (he leaves in about a week). Also, my brother Clay and his wife Jen came out to visit us in April, and he used to be a missionary, so I guess he fits in this category.


9. RALLYing the Troops
Politics is messy, confusing, and even deceiving business. Thank goodness we’ve got Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert to tell us what to think…and do! When they told us to come to their Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear on the National Mall, we didn’t think twice. Neither did my two sisters, Mandy and Kristen, who both flew to North Carolina to spend a few days before the big show. It was a good time, and I’m pretty sure I’m 20% more patriotic now.


10. An Outpouring of iLove
On Christmas morning, 2010, I received an iPhone 4 and an iPad. Holla!!! Now, I know some of you just rolled your eyes, but for you techy nerds and gadget wizards out there, you understand that such a boon for one man in one day is very Top 10 worthy, maybe even Top 5.

It’s been good, 2010. Be good, 2011.

5 comments:

  1. I love this list! I have to start doing this. I have two comments about your top ten. First of all I didn't know what you got for Christmas until now.
    Wow are you loved (spoiled)! Did Celeste give you both of those prizes? That's very exciting. Also, What do you mean on item #6 when you said "ALL THE FUN without the cross-country pilgrimage"? Wasn't there anything you missed? We didn't have ALL the fun in Utah because you weren't here. Just sayin . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point taken, mom. It should read "MOST OF THE FUN without..." I'll talk to my editor about fixing that. We really did miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting to hear if Celeste's daddy brought BYU t-shirts to all your kids or not. Maybe he didn't know there was a recruitment contest going on...?

    I think this is a great time in your lives. Lots of travel, challenging experiences, and technology! I agree with Norma, the Christmas comment hurts a little when you talk about it being perfect because you didn't have to travel home...? What's up with that? (never mind that Wade would have come late to the party and left early..he (we) would have still been excited to see you).

    ReplyDelete
  4. To our Utah folks - we did miss you all and did feel left out of the family moments! But we made the most of Christmastime with all of you in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh, you guys did a TON in 2010. The only thing missing was a visit from me! 2011...?

    ReplyDelete