When I busted out a groovy rap for my students back around Christmastime, I told them it was the last time they'd have a teacher rap for them, and that they should thank their lucky stars for the once-in-a-lifetime experience I had just given them.
And I meant it.
Then, about a month later, I had my students writing some pretty intense research papers about the contrasting philosophies of Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Dubois. As I was proofreading a student's essay, I looked down and saw my finger tapping rhythmically against my desk. Before I knew it, my head was nodding mindlessly to an invisible beat, and words started to creep to the forefront of my mind, completely unbidden. Before I knew it, stanzas with rhyming endings had taken full form in my brain. And when they came, I knew that I couldn't turn them back into the dark recesses of my brain. I had no choice. I had to share them.
But I didn't want to just want to do the same thing I did in December. So I upped the ante. Or I tried to, at least. In the words of EminOlsen, "I guess it's up to you to decide..."
Dude. You ROCK. I love love love that you do this for the kids. I cannot tell you how amazing of a teacher you are. And you're not too shabby a white boy teacher-rapper either. :)
ReplyDelete