Friday, June 22, 2012

A Visit from Bonnie Boops

Enjoying a visit from my sister Bonnie!

This past weekend my sister Bonnie came to visit us! She and her husband moved to Virginia for the summer - and as you can see she is pretty far along in her pregnancy. She is so brave to move right before her baby is born, but she acts like it's no big deal. Bonnie is five years younger than me, and it's been pretty rare in our lives that we've been able to spend some time just the two of us. I was so glad to to just hang out and get to know her better!

It was her first time visiting us, so we dragged her all around the Triangle to experience a few of our favorite spots. We went to the outlet malls, the American Tobacco Campus in Durham, NC State campus to disc golf, historical Wake Forest, and (of course) to the pool. She was such a trooper - she waddled around without complaining!

At the American Tobacco Campus in Durham


Outside of Durham Bulls Athletic Park

At the Duke Gardens

Hilarious Moments of the Visit:

1. Bonnie has the worst memory for movies, movie characters, musicians, etc.  She started off a conversation by saying, "Have you guys seen the Action Movie this summer?"
Jackson: The what?
Bonnie: The Action Movie.
Jackson: What action movie?  There are several.
Bonnie: You know, the one with the Hammer Guy and the Iron Guy?
Jackson: Are you talking about Thor and Ironman?  From the Avengers?
Bonnie: Yeah, that one!
Jackson: (palm to forehead)

2. Playing cards with Bonnie is always an experience, as all us Britts can attest.  She's very proud of the fact that she's been "off" cheating for 12 months, but let's just say that she uses a loose interpretation of the word "cheating."

3. While driving to Durham, Jackson stopped at a random Thrift Store on the side of the highway.  We stepped inside, and stepped back in time.  There was a friendly toothless Southern hillbilly running the shop, who spoke to us in the finest Southern accent in all the Carolinas.  The shop was filled with crazy, CRAZY stuff.  We each picked an item from the store to remember it by.  Jackson picked a sketching of a lighthouse, I got a bundt cake pan, and Bonnie got a pair of earrings (for a dollar, by the way) that looked like cats.  They even had tails that moved.  It was incredible.


4. I love Bonnie's flare for fashion.  Her new cat earrings were a perfect or (purrfect) match for her leopard skin maternity wear, which she wore with bright red pants.  She doesn't like to draw a lot of attention to herself... :)

5. I found it fascinating how many times she got up to pee.  Every activity, large or small, was centered around bathroom proximity and timing.  Only once did it get so bad that she threatened to squat, but luckily we averted the disaster.  I guess that's something to look forward to.



 Walking around Historic Wake Forest.  The shadows made us look so skinny!

The Bell tower at the South East Baptist Seminary in Wake Forest

A historic home in Wake Forest 

Bonnie disc golfing - at first it was a little challenging...

  The most flattering shot of the day... Thanks Jackson!

Would you believe I got a tick on my shin after playing???  Ridiculous.
By the end of the day, she was getting pretty good!!

I'm glad that Bonnie is close (at least for the time being!). It was sad to see her go, but we are planning on visiting her and her husband in Virginia next month.

Love you, Boops!!

3 comments:

  1. Awww, you guys look like you are having a blast! But crazy things to take a preggo woman to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I love this post, and I'm jealous it looks like you guys were having so much fun. I must say, bonnie is a trooper for playing frisbee golf 7 months preggo! And I totally feel for her on the bathroom thing, I literally felt like I peed every 15 minutes those last few months of pregnancy. It is not fun. I miss you guys tons!!! Wish we lived closer, but hopefully all of us girls will get to hang out in august for danielle's wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN! You guys are so great. Bonnie sounds hilarious and awesome :)

    ReplyDelete