Saturday, November 13, 2010

Musical duels, Law School, and We Are the Champions!


We've been lazy with the blog lately, and I'm sure you've all been chewing your fingernails into bloody stubs in anticipation for more news. Rubbing alcohol should do the trick. Our lives are a robust mixture of mayhem and meetings, juvenile misfits and zealous Mormons, with just a dash of balance and a pinch of sanity. C'est la vie.


So for starters, Celeste and I had some visitors a few weeks ago. My beautiful sisters Mandy and Kristen decided to come to North Carolina to see our schools, experience our classrooms, stay in our luxurious apartment, and in general, sponge up the splendor of rural North Carolina. Oh, and the fact that they came at the same time was a complete coincidence. And the fact that they happened to arrive on the very same weekend of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear was just a surprise. And, as you can guess, they had NO idea that we only live 3 hours from D.C., where the rally was held. Well, seeing as we had no other major plans, guess where we ended up going? That's right. Waffle House. Oh wait, that was just me. I meant WASHINGTON, D.C.!!!


Good times were had, and the rally was incredible. It was basically like a two-hour episode of the Colbert Report and the Daily Show mixed with Shakespeare in the Park. There were several bits, skits, and musical guests, including the most amazing musical duel between Cat Stephens and Ozzie Osbourne (Peace Train vs. Crazy Train). It was...scrumtralescent.


Once the insanity of the sanity rally wore off, I finally had the time (and the sanity) to submit the last of my law school applications. As in, they're IN. Those accursed, painfully drawn out applications are finally in the hands of the schools to which I seek admission. Now all we have to do is endure another painfully drawn out process: waiting for their response. The schools we've applied to are as follows:

-University of North Carolina
-University of Utah
-Northeastern University (Boston)
-American University (DC)
-Howard University (DC)
-Catholic University (DC)

We're taking bets on predictions, so cast your votes now!

And finally, last week I coached what will likely be my final middle school football game. I know, I know. You're all saying, "Contract extension, salary increase, blue chip recruits". Trust me, I've heard it all before, and I just can't see myself doing it again, despite the glamorous perks that would most assuredly be mine. On the brightside, however, the HMS Rams finished the season with a 7-1 record, clinching the MAC-9 Conference Championship. Here's a link to a story ran by our local paper: http://hendersondispatch.com/view/full_story_sports/10156194/article-Rams-win-MAC-9?instance=main_article


All is well in Tar Heel Country. Until next time, farewell.

7 comments:

  1. My bet is U of U, mostly because I want you guys close to babysit :). My second bet is UNC-Chapel Hill. Good luck and congrats on getting them in.
    And thanks for all the sanity. I'm still less insane than everyone I know who didn't go to the rally. That was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo! I love the photos in this post. The one at the top is awesome. Congrats on the football stuff and on getting your applications in! I bet you'll get into to all of them. Yep, all. So, which will you choose? Wherever you end up, I want to visit. It feels like I'm the only one who hasn't made it out to NC (sniff).
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on those apps. I'm rushing to get mine in before Thanksgiving. Congrats on the football success as well. My fantasy football teams are struggling this year perhaps we could hire you on as an adviser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm betting UNC. You have drank the koolaid of North Carolina and now you can't go back. Plus... Ev and I haven't come to visit you there. That gives us a little more time to pluck up the moolah to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like we've got 2 votes for UNC on the grounds that you want to come and visit, and 1 vote for Utah so we can babysit. Hmmm...I'm feeling a little used. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So was he Cat or Yusuf at the rally? Loved the pictures and the update. How cool to all be together for that.

    I know that Norma is voting for the Utah school. It would be great to have you in our neck of the woods because I have a feeling it might be the only time. So I am with Norma. I vote Utah. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber, he was called Yusuf at the rally. I just figured most people still know him as Cat.

    Your vote is noted. I still have to get accepted first, though, so we'll see...

    ReplyDelete